I used to be pressured by some one i used to know, to perform Mehdi's 5x5 Strong Lifts
Pros of 5x5 SL
- Builds great strength really fast
- Simple
- Lower Body Focus, to build strong legs especially
Cons of 5x5 SL
- Very taxing, can't do anything else for the rest of the day
- Hides deficiencies. For example my shoulders and arms were compensating for a weak lower back, and weak lower core, that were exposed during long day walks.
- Strength only good at gym. Sadly, in everyday walking, i get winded very quickly.
Then gym trainers always pressured me to do bro splits (Chest Day, Leg Day, etc). Trouble with this is for example after Leg Day my legs would be like jelly, and I could barely walk. Or after Chest Day my chest would be terribly sore.
In both cases, I would be in a foul mood, and in pain, and I could hardly do anything for the rest of the day. Why? Such programs severly tax the Central Nervous System, not to mention putting immense pressure on the spine, and on internal organs like the Esophagus.
These days I designed my own advanced Push/Pull program, with a little more emphasis on Pull, to correct poor posture
The great thing about my own program is
- improved stamina, with improvements in lower back and core strength
- Loads more energy, to complement my daily activities
- Broader shoulders, more balanced developement, leaner more athletic frame
- Better mood, more relaxed.
See, i noticed a dude doing Lunges in the gym. Lunges seemed great for him. I tried Lunges too, but my wonky knees gave way and I spent a week in bed. That was when I realised: I was my own man. With my own strengths and weaknesses.
What worked for others (Squat heavy 5x5 Sl, Bro splits, Lunges,etc) may not work for me. Took me a long while to figure out what worked, but i finally figured it out, and It's been working wonders so far.
Lighter weights, many more reps and sets, focusing on different parts of the body, at different angles. That's a better way to go.
And: Chocolate Milk is great protein for recovery
No comments:
Post a Comment